Tuesday, September 16, 2008

second step phone call


when was the last time you made a bad phone call that could potentially affect your life?

i kinda just did.

oh god, i should have never opened my mouth.

i spent like few hours peeking through technical notes for this inter-continental conversation but what were the questions asked?

basic personality questions.

duh.. as if i work in a bank.

so i was completely caught wrong-footed. but i had to keep my composure and go through with it.

here goes..

how do you see yourself in 5 years?

err wait, let me consult my crystal ball. hmmm i think i see a haze. a blur. which should mean i'm so blur to answer this question...

seriously what is the correct answer for this?

i guess i could paint a prefect scenario where i am a high-flyer technically-adapt project lead that leads his engineers as natural as the sky is blue.

ok move on..

what do you think is your strong personal traits?

ok i have this on top of my head. i'm a goal-oriented person, very eager to learn.

actually i thought that's a pretty good answer until i was asked to give an example.

bummer.

so i had to go on and on about how i made effort learning some perl stuff to be able to write test scripts that would assist me in my analysis work.

what is your weakness and how do you improve it?

gosh how to answer this question? should i venture into 'that' area? ok ok this is strictly work related, so what's my weakness?

i said something in the line of being too careful in doing my work, until it takes longer than necessary.

i don't even know how to improve that. ok maybe if i be more confident, which comes from experience, i wouldn't be that sceptical in my work in the first place.

see.. those were the sample questions. i might have written them answers in perfect english but god knows i had difficulty string 2 relevant words together.

don't get me wrong, i think i'm highly qualified, it's just that these subjective answer is very hard to make. this is not like some technical transistor law that you have equations to work on.

plus, i was very nervous. it's like you're walking on plane of wood. which should be easy right? now let's say someone put a gun on your loved ones and say he will kill your loved one if you ever step a toe out of the plane. now try and walk as calm as before.

the point is, i just hope that they would look beyond those jittery answers and my blabbering to see the man inside, i mean, talent inside.

keeping my fingers crossed.



...ed

No comments: