Monday, September 15, 2008

a date with a hairdresser


i was sitting on the high chair feeling all happy and pampered, and beginning to understand the true meaning of heaven on earth, when the hairdresser put a plate of nicely cut mooncake on the desk in front, amongst the various magazines.

errr.. gosh.

god knows i like surprises.

and i like moon cake! it's the 15th day of the chinese lunar calender 8th month, but...

'i cannot eat this', i said.

'you don't eat moon cake? i'm afraid you're hungry'.

said the young hairdresser. i told him i haven't had lunch just a moment ago when he asked. i thought it was just a casual conversation.

oh if my heart can melt, it will.

what should i do?

'no no.. i eat, but i cannot eat now', i said.

he took a glimpse to the steam dome covering my head. he's not thinking i cannot eat because i'm being steamed at the moment, is he?

gosh, this is difficult.

'so you're not gonna eat?', he said.

'err no thanks'.

so he slowly took the plate away and i felt like curling my whole body inside the steamer.

i felt horrible. is this how i treat someone's sweet gesture?

but i have no choice. it's fasting month now, and i simply cannot eat in the middle of a hair salon in the middle of the day.

i could have explained, but then he'd feel embarrased of his ignorance. i mean, he's not local, so it's not his fault actually.

ok maybe a little, but still.. it'd be like telling off mother theresa.

well, looking at the way he did my hair in the end after the treatments (i asked to be cut short at side, spike on top, and long in front. yeah spell that - FUNKY), at least he didn't resort to mawning my head off.

i really hope not.

because he's my favourite hairdresser. i just need to remember NOT to be visiting during this particular month.

i'll take note.



...ed

1 comment:

suzura said...

I've also gone through the same experience while boarding Singapore Airlines flight the other day.
I've already informed the flight attendants that I'm fasting, yet they still come over to your side and ask, 'Chicken or beef?'. I kindly said, no thanks.
Then, the same stewardess will come over to my side and ask if I'd like a glass of water or not. I declined. Then, the same stewardess will come over again and ask if I'd like an orange juice, instead.
Hmm...I'll just consider it as a 'dugaan'.