Wednesday, January 24, 2007

this ain't a scene, it's an arms race

it is proven true :- bad things come in three. officially confirmed and sealed.

first clijsters beats hingis in AO quarterfinals. i was nearly ecstatic when hingis secured the first set but as nelly furtado sings, all good things will come to an end. she lost in 3, as my friend so helpfully paged me while i was in the office cafeteria having my lunch. i swear he sounded like a bit happy.

then i took a cab back home so that i could catch men's quarterfinals between nadal and gonzales, sharp when the clock hit 5.15pm. you see, i almost never take cab back home but i figured this is much cheaper then buying a car. still to some extent, it was not an enjoyable affair to part with 13 bucks just for this.

after the thriller 5-setter with murray last monday, i was expecting some fight too with gonzales but it turned out nadal was totally outpowered and outplayed. it almost ripped my heart watching gonzo's thunderous forehands flew left and right unreached.

like i always do, i turned of the tv and did other stuff hoping the score will somehow get even. yes it's silly i know and true enough somethings are just not meant to be. apparently reading harry potter then taking a brief nap just drifted the match even further from victory. nadal was ousted in straight sets.

which sucks. now i lost all my enthusiasm in this year's AO. for all i know, serena will win the women and (who-else) federer will win his gazillionth grand slam title. so no more a quick browsing through the forums before my morning shower. no more surrepticious live score check-outs in between engineering reports windows during worktime.

thinking the day couldn't get any worse, i cleaned my fish tank just now and i was stepping into the toilet to keep the empty pail when i slipped and fell down. i remembered as if in slow motion my feet slipping forward, my hand let go of whatever i was holding, trying to get hold of my balance but to no avail. next second i was lying sideways on the floor with my body all protesting in pain.

in between heavy breath checking whether my body was still fully functional, i wondered what would have happened had i fell down badly, or worse, lost conciousness. my colleagues would wonder for awhile and then probably concluded i went for a sudden vacation or something. i expect the police will have to break down the main door after a week, to finally find me spotting mushrooms all over.

well anyway, i'm not gonna fret much about that now, as what the fall out boy sings, as long as the room keeps singing....



...ed

No comments: