Saturday, January 13, 2007

the poolside story

i love it when it rains in the morning. especially the feeling following that brief state of panic after grabbing the alarm clock that already passed 8, and realized it's saturday.

just that it's almost 11 but it doesn't seem to get sunny anytime sooner. which made me writing this blog instead of going down for a short swim as planned. taking a dip in a weather like this, i'd be dehydrated from running nose before the lift even reach my floor.

it's a pity. i could use a bit of thinking time by the poolside to make up my mind. you see, i've been round the roundabouts before but i still have yet to decide to buy or not to buy a car.

the other day, my colleague asked me the reason i'm thinking of buying one. hereby, these are the usual most valid reasons, just on top of my head.


a) to ferry children or sick old parents?

not really. not having kids of my own, it'll be a police case if i were to have them in my car. and my parents are still young and healthy. not to mentioned they live in kl and have a car each too.


b) for work travel assignments?

i don't have to do my own version of the amazing race meeting customers all over the island for work. i work in a lab, so the most human voices i hear are from my headphones. during work i mean. so it's a no.


c) to get to remote places?

nope. unless i'm off to bury someone already wrapped in a blanket from my kitchen. or the modern way, to blow it off in a deserted hill near the dam, especially if she's a young mongolian model mistress.


not a very strong case huh? but i do have my own reasons. like i could shorten my trip to work. i commute 45 minutes one-way to work a day, consist of an mrt ride and 2 short bus trips. driving will take less than 15 minutes, with no-jam and no parallel parking of course.

plus, it's only a matter of time till my knees give way from standing everytime taking the east west line. btw, why the hell does that line is always crowded? you'd think having 6 long coaches with train frequency every 2 minutes are enough to get seats for passengers from the 3rd station after the starting point. it's as if ppl just pouring out of tampines and pasir ris non-stop.

whether these are enough to justify an extra $1000 out of my pocket every month for a car, i'm not sure. my friend said, with that amount of money it's like i can go for travel every month. which when i think about it, it's a bit too much of a money for a bit of convenience.

i don't know. it's a lot easier if we can have help everytime we have difficult decisions to make. you know, something that can give you hints, or clue on how to proceed. like a magic dice or taro cards or something. i guess that's why ppl resort to fortune teller, or even horoscope to get some guidance in life. maybe it's human nature after all, to need help to attain nirvana.

for me, i hope to get mine at the poolside. if it's not raining of course.



...ed

No comments: