Wednesday, October 29, 2008

let's touch base


yesterday i got this mail from the company HR which goes...

'let's touch base. i got important news to tell you.'

full stop.

can you believe it? i scanned the bottom of that sentence like 20 times hoping to find some hidden messages or secret codes that could tell me more but none.

as i stared at the blank screen, i even hoped this was like that mail which had a ghost or something suddenly cropped out from the static picture as you were staring to freak you out but nada.

what news????

some people are just plain vain. this HR guy is just like those tv series writers that always like to have someone opening up the door expecting the killer inside the room, saying 'oh it's you!' without showing the killer face and then abruptly ended the scene with 'to be continued'...

except this one, i couldn't download the sequence off the net or read the next episode spoilers from wikipedia.

fortunately, my ex-colleague who was transfered to the branch where i'm applying for few years back spoiled it for me. he sent me mail which goes...

'congratulations! i heard you got the transfer'.

see? plain and simple and nobody died from this short statement. nobody i know anyway, but oh my god oh my god oh my god my god...

I GOT THE TRANSFER???

apparently i am. later that night at about 10.30pm i got a call from the new HR and i had to play surprise. ok this is so confirmed.

wow i was so ecstatic. i felt surreal, like my spirit just jumped out of my body saying banzaiiii and then came back in a second.

this is so classic example of how things turn out when you least expect it. this is like when you thought the causeway would have heavy traffics but ended up with a smooth ride, or the time when you thought nothing worth checking out the cheap sale but ended up buying lots of ripped-off discounts.

i mean, when i got a mail saying this another branch was laying off people, i kinda put my hope off. after all, when everything went mute after you asked about the result, in normal world that was never a good sign.

but i guess, good things do come for boys who wait.

at least i hope it would be good. mind you it was not easy making this decision. this is not like deciding what movie to watch for a night out, or whether my car would be white or black. this is like jumping off the ship and hope there is no shark in the water.

and i have not even told my parents yet. i told my friend this just now and she said, what a fillial son you are. i know she meant to be sarcastic, but if this sudden move could cause heart-attack, then maybe i am being fillial.

i'm just afraid how things could turn out, like people would get sad and stuff. i just like the way things are, at least for the next 2 months or so before i make my move. i felt just like becky bloomwood when she was having secrets about her 2 weddings from her parents, and look at how did that turn out.

ok maybe i should give my father a call. or maybe an e-mail saying...

'let's touch base. i got important news to tell you.'




...ed

2 comments:

Bangla Tambak Johor said...

omedetouuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!

we all will visit you thereee...

noreh jones sakura

suzura said...

touch base, neh...
sure sounds like a secret code or something. I would be equally perplexed if thats all that I got in my mail box! but then, I'm working at a Japanese firm. So, chances of me ever receiving any emails written in English from HR is, err, NADA!

nora,
yes...lets plan a visit! next reunion @ US?!!!!
How glamorous!