Monday, March 05, 2007

born for speed

i was still asleep last saturday morning when my mobile alerted sms coming. normally i just ignored and returned to dreamland, owing to the fact that my hp ipaq is not intelligent enough to keep on ringing every few minutes irritatingly until i read the message, unlike my previous samsung E720.

but today, i opened my eyelids a fraction just enough to see the letters and read. here was the message.

"Gd morning eddie gd news, ur car regn no. SGS XXXX Z. R u working today, possible to arrange delivery today, let me know wat time u free to collect.Tq"

my car has finally arrived! finally something to fill into otherwise another uneventful weekend. ok, i was supposed to attend this colleague's house warming party in hougang later that day, but to be frank it's not something that make me jump on the bed.

so i got my car. my first car. the feeling was just like when i got my house. i felt so successful. coz let's face it; a car is a luxury in singapore. but i figured life is short so i may as well enjoy it while i could.

plus i learned that if the money is not meant to be yours, it won't be yours so why bother savings excessively? like today during lunch my colleague told me if i had purchased the car from carcity, i would have got $3800 rebate due to COE drop. the rebate i got from Tan Chong motors in Ubi? a mere $300.

but i'm not disappointed, or feel like burning the car showroom. i'm sure that $3500 was never meant to be mine in the first place. i read about this girl who got her new car and bought 4D using her plate numbers. she striked $400 but a week later she got into an accident and had to pay $400 for repair.

everything happened for a reason. just ask jennifer hudson. or those that watch LOST.

and the timing was just perfect. my parents are going to visit me this coming weekend, so i can ferry them around with my car. they are going to stay at my house for 5 days, and this time i want to make sure nobody's going to push me out of my own bedroom.

also i already managed to get a taste of singapore road driving last tuesday. ok not exactly roads, but circuit driving at jurong go-kart tracks. it was part of team building event organized by our department. this is the advantage of forcing those new young engineers into the committee; you got all these hip, cool and interesting events. i mean, who needs another family day?


me in front of the race.. haha eat my wind suckers!!!


gosh i love go-kart racing. i almost felt that i was born for speed. maybe after i retire i can consider giving that alex yong some competition in local arena. only i'm not so sure they will allow you to drive in such an old age. which i don't understand. i mean, the only energy you need is to press the accelerator right? unless they're afraid you'll get heart attack while driving or something.

speaking of heart attack, it was fun seeing other ppl almost get one. remember my friends that just landed a job here recently? they moved out of my house by the way, found quite a nice place in yishun. i organized a trip to downtown east with them, together with another friend who flew all the way from bangkok just for the weekend to join our little reunion (we were university's buddies).

you know i've never noticed this place despite living so near to it. i saw the entrance everytime i passed by, but how could i know they have those cool rides that will turn you 360 degrees in every directions by looking at that bland signboard?

i just love theme parks. but apparently some ppl are allergic to it. like this friend of mine. i mean, what's so scary about sitting in a pirate ship that swings up and down? it's just like sitting on a giant baby swing. you see even babies are fine with it.

but this friend became red hot on the face with tears running out of his eyes. so i literally dragged him to ride this.., well i don't know what it is called, but you sit on this pair of seats, being strapped in, then this thing will spin around, which later at full speed your seat will sway like crazy. he made me promise that i wouldn't further shake the seat, which i did. but later i did shake it vigorously to force a complete 360 degrees turn up and down in addition to left and right turn. hahaha boy that was fun.



that spinning ride that makes you go ooohh
me(behind) with my friend from bangkok


today i'll have the 2nd tennis lesson in tampines safra. now mondays are not as dull and dreadful as it were. it's worth waking up in the morning realizing it's monday, then thinking about tennis game after work. it cheers me up.

to be perfectly honest, even the fact that i can drive there does it to me too.


...ed

No comments: