Friday, February 20, 2009

racha-yai giant leap underwater


Phuket vacation : Prequel

WE ended up taking a stroll along patong beach during sunset. this may sound romantic but our actual purpose, well, at least my friend's actual purpose was to ask the owners of the various boats along the beach if we could hire a boat to nearby islands. me? i was just tagging along.

it turned out, the boats were not very cheap. man, these people are bunch of blood-suckers, aren't they? blame us for competing with those euro-paying tourists.

there were still people jet-skiing and para-gliding at the beach. i guess it gives them a different experience doing those in that dim lit redish sky. more sentimental perhaps?


patong beach goes all golden at sunset


one thing about the westerners is they are very easy to strike conversation with. plus, they are on holiday here, so everybody is in a good mood.

this may sound silly but i found this similar like when i was in las vegas, in united states. both places are full of tourists so you get this party vibe all over. everybody is vacationing, you don't see locals hurrying up to work or doing daily routine chores. it feels just like disneyland, minus the rides and of course, mickey mouse.

one of them ended up talking to us while we strolled on the beach. he's an iranian enjoying the freedom in thailand. ok maybe he's not a westerner but still very chatty. then my friend somehow joined some australian guys playing takraw. i didn't play as i suck at takraw and didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of strangers. they said they would be in phuket for another 3 weeks. now that's what i call life. and we have to be back home in.. (what?) few more days...

ok let's not think about that just yet.


Phuket vacation : Part 2
o1 Feb '09


it was 6 months ago when i got my diving license, and this was my first dive apart from my diving teacher. so naturally, when i got my tank strapped behind my back and a big blue sea with god-knows-what's-undernearth just one big giant leap away, i got a bit of adrenaline flowing in a negative way.


me doing the giant leap while going 'oh god oh god oh god...'


that was why when the mask on my face started leaking in water again and again, i got panicked and surfaced up barely 5m down. i know this is a big violation in my diving class but to my defense, this was a case of a defective gear. you don't fail a driving test student just because the tyre got punctured half way, do you?

a change of mask later, i started descending again and slowly my heartbeat frequency returned to normal. all the excitement of exploring underwater world came rushing back in. my dive master, holger, led me and my friend while taking our photos and videos along the way. i think that was one of a few time when i didn't really care how i would look inside the photos because with a diving gear, you could do lunges and still look cool...


do we look cool? haha.. ok the fishes definitely are..


other than those butterfly fishes, we got to see a giant morray eel lurking from between the rocks (my friend got a photo with it. damn!) and there was also this bearded scorpionfish that the dive master quickly signalled dangerous (he meant don't go near or you'd cry all the trip back bearing the pain).

the other good thing about this diving trip was, the boat ride itself. it was a speed boat and they even had this cook that prepared us omellette for breakfast. the crepe she made tasted like heaven especially when i ate it at the opened boat deck after the dive. i remember thinking, god, this is what holidays should be like, and then, have i said this more than once already during this trip?


me and my dive master, holger from germany on the right. he's such a nice guy


australian open tennis final between rafael nadal and roger federer just started when i reached my hotel room that late afternoon. i was all tired from the whole day at sea so i watched the match from my bed but all the suspense was killing me. i have used all my adrenalin for today so i figured i should watch an hour later if nadal is leading the score. i decided to go out for a massage instead.

ok it turned out i took 2 massages in a row. can you blame me?



...ed

1 comment:

Bangla Tambak Johor said...

kakko ii ze!