Sunday, July 13, 2008

wake me up when monday ends


i'm exhausted. i don't know what i did. ok i did go to the gym before noon for about 20 minutes, then drove down to joo chiat for lunch at hajah maimunah, sending my friend off in toa payoh dan headed back home for an afternoon nap. from then on i have been in hibernation mode.

maybe that was the problem. too much slacking time.

i don't mind though. tomorrow is monday, and as if the normal afternoon weekly meeting isn't stressful enough, there will be a visitor from our main hq in US.

as with the past visitors, i expect she will be getting the normal red carpet treatment from her hotel to her temporary throne in the office, and the whole department 'kow-tow'ing to her feet chanting 'long live long live her majesty' all the time.

you see, i so need the energy to face all that tomorrow apart from my usual monday blues.

yesterday me and my dear friend went for a vegetarian buffet at ling zhi restaurant. i have heard about this place in chinatown before, but last week we spotted this new branch in novena square and found out about the high-tea dim sum buffet for dollars 15++ and figured, we must try this out.

i must say i'm not that all crazy about dim sum in the first place. in fact, i don't think i'm normally crazy about any food, except sushi, and hajah maimunah, and now the durians, but i'm all for new taste. plus, considering i'm trying to get my kilos one notch lower, i have been abstaining myself from the usual splurge so this felt like a treat.




there was not much of a spread, which i guess it's ok considering this is a high-tea, and me and my friend are not big-eaters anyway. here are some of the dishes we took. i'm sorry i don't even know what they are called. i mean, they are all steamed flours wrapping some stuff, what's the difference?






we were told we could order some off the menu, so i went for 'sauteed monkey head mushroom with dried chilli'. ok i admit, the monkey head was the one catching my attention. it turned up to be the one on the bottom left. we ordered 'bag of treasure' too for one obvious reason, and that was the one on the bottom right.

taste wise, it was alright. not very tasty and not very bland either. i guess that's what vegetarian is all about too : moderation.

after that we went to yishun avenue 7 choice optical shop because my friend wanted to buy glasses. his friend is working there so it was like throwing 2 birds with one stone. ok perhaps 3 birds in this case because that means genuine discount and no rip-off as well.

what i wanted to say here is that, after my friend did his eye test, they did mine too, just out of my interest, and here was the result.




the result was quite a relief. after spending about half of my life staring at computer screens (in romantic dim lights normally at home), i guess my eyes are still alright.

except a bit of astig on my left eye. the reading says 1.75, which i guess not serious since i don't notice it unless i'm on the back of the room trying to read the board in front. plus, wikipedia says Astigmatism is quite common. studies have shown that about one in three people suffers from it.

ahah. one in three, that's very common right? like when you see a family of 3 on the road, or say maybe the 'destiny's child', one of them would have astig right?

then the article goes, 'the prevalence of astigmatism increases with age. although a person may not notice mild astigmatism, higher amounts of astigmatism may cause blurry vision, squinting, asthenopia, fatigue, or headaches.'

hmm.. fatigue? maybe that's what causing me feeling fatigue all day. oh god i knew it! but again, it's for my left eye. must i feel fatigue on my left side then? gosh i'm so screwed.

i better close my eyes then and go to bed, hoping i'd wake up on tuesday.



...ed

No comments: